Monday, January 19, 2009

Franco Family Update

Well...hard to imagine January is almost over and this is my first update of the New Year. The year has started on a rough note and I'm hoping this is not an indicator of what 2009 has in store. John's mom is not doing well. She is 93 years old. Helping prepare the kids to say good bye has been tough. The kids know she is sick and that she may be going to Heaven. Tori takes these things to heart. She is very sad about the current situation. She is also looking ahead and fearing that she may have to say good bye to John and I someday. How do you explain all this to a smart 6 year old? Next up...Tori. She had been sick to start the new year and then developed a rash which the pediatrician thought was Fifth's disease. Which once the rash comes out they are usually fine. It continued to get worse and when she woke up Friday she was so swollen her eyes hurt. Off to the doctor to find out she was having a major allergic reaction to something. We are still not sure what and we will investigate after she is clear. In the meantime, tomorrow will be a week since she first developed the rash and although better she is still breaking out. The doctor said she came very close to being hospitalized! That was Friday, so Friday night I had her sleep with me. Only to be awakened by John Jr in terrible stomach pain and vomiting all over the house! He has had these episodes before but never as severe as this one. Poor little thing could not walk he was in so much pain. He managed to deplete his body of all fluid very quickly and needed to be hospitalized for 2 days to rehydrate. We are now home and will start looking for causes to these episodes. So.....how is your 2009 so far?

4 comments:

Shari said...

Oh man - hopefully things will start going better. It's really hard to isolate an allergy like that - I know I'm the queen of the rash, but I've never had one that severe.

Cyndi said...

Yikes! That doesn't sound very good! Does your little one have a fever and swollen lymph nodes along with the rash? Could be Kawasaki's...which is prevalent in Asian children under 5. (I have a friend whose son just had this in Nov) Just another thought...hopefully it is something that isn't serious and they find out soon what it is.
I am sorry to hear about your MIL. It does sound like 2009 is getting off to a rough start for you all. Does that mean (hopefully) it can only get better? I'll keep your family close to my heart!

Jill and Rick said...

Oh Carol, I wondered what you'd been up to and I'm so sorry to hear of your rough start. Poor Tori and John Jr. Hopefully you'll be able to identify the culprit for Tori's severe allergic reaction.

Jill

KOphotography said...

Carol..that's a tough beginning -- I feel so bad for you and John .. but also for the kids being sick is horrible!
I wonder what set off the rash? you'll have to let us know when you know.
Hope you can get some information and things are back to "normal".. soon..